Monday, September 24, 2007

"180 Days"

Some times I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to accomplish what I have planned. At times I feel like I am doing something wrong because I can't get it all done, but when I really think about it, it isn't my fault at all. I do my lesson plans every week and what I write down on paper looks so good. I only wish it was that good. What I mean is that every week something comes up that messes up my plans.

I really enjoyed the video. It makes you stop and take notice of how much instruction time is lost. It is a shame to admit that the video is accurate because it is sad to think about how much time is lost. Take the next two weeks for example. I was doing my plans today and as I am writing them out I realized in the next two weeks so much is going on; picture day, browsing time for the book fair, buying time for the book fair, an assembly, students have a half a day on Friday, October 5th, and off on Monday, October 8th. It is the beginning of the school year, there is so much teaching that needs to be done.

I think administrators need to think about certain activities that they allow to go on in school. For example, some assemblys are very beneficial to students, but some in my opinion are a waste of time. I think administrators might want to include the teachers on certain decisions. Teachers know their children the best and if they feel that certain activities are not helpful at all then maybe they just shouldn't take place. As a teacher I think it is nice to get through a week with no activities going on except teaching.

2 comments:

Ellen Johnson said...

You make an excellent point about assemblies. Administrators should really consider the educational value of programs before booking them. Some assemblies provide enriching experiences and knowledge in an exciting way. But too many programs are just fluff for the sake of saying that the school has assemblies. It might be worthwhile to develop a rubric for evaluating potential programs. Then a school representative (or a few) could preview the program and decide if it really fits the academic/cultural needs of a school population.

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

I think with any activity, it the benefits and costs need to be weighed before action is taken. Classroom instruction, activity, field trip, assembly, etc. I think all parties in school tend to take time for granted...until June creeps up on them!