Monday, September 24, 2007

N.J. Standards Website

Every teacher no matter what they teach has a set of guide lines to follow throughout the school year. Those guide lines are the core curriculum standards. I am quite familiar with these standards like most educators are. I have used this website before and each time I use it I tend to get somewhat overwhelmed. I can't believe I actually accomplish this all this work in school year. It is amazing what can actually get done in 65 or so days.

Educators have such a limited amount of time to prepare students for the next school year that I feel it would be beneficial for the site to include some helpful tips for educators. For example the site can give sample lesson plans or tips on how to implement the lesson. This would really help out new teachers just starting out and even veteran teachers looking for ways to spice things up. Don't get me wrong the website is helpful and organized, but there is always room for improvement.

I work in a district where a lot of families do not own computers or have access to the Internet. Since these families are not able to access this website I feel this is not a useful tool for some community members. These families should still know what is going on in the schools. I think that possibly the department of education could send out a newsletter to keep families up to date and informed of what is going. Families should not be punished for what they don't have, especially if they can't afford it.

No comments: