Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Did You Know"

Actually I didn't know. After I watched that video I was really surprised about some things. I realize that technology is important and that there is always something new happening , but I didn't think that in the near future there would be a computer that would surpass the human brain and possibly the human race. To me that is a scary thought. How do we prepare ourselves or others for that?

There is a great big world out there and we here in the US play a small part in that world. As an educator though I feel I have a bigger part than some others. I feel this way because it is my responsibility to prepare my children in my classroom for the future. Those children are our future. This task is not an easy one considering the fact that I am preparing them for things I don't even know about yet or preparing them for things that don't even exist yet. Our society changes so fast it is hard to keep up so I think as educators it is our job to teach our children the skills needed in order to succeed in this world. Once they have the skills and know how to use them hopefully our children will be able to fit them into their world as they see fit. We need to give our children the confidence to change those skills as they feel is necessary. It is important for our children to become hard-working, strong, and determined individuals.

This responsibility doesn't only lie in the educators hands. The BOEs need to step up also. If technology is so important then why do I have only one computer in my classroom that works and has very, very, limited internet access and why am I using a textbooks that were published in the 70s? Most of information in our social studies books are inaccurate and then as an educator you try to look up accurate information and you realize that the website is denied for who knows what reason. Stuff like this makes our jobs so hard.

The BOE aren't the only ones that need to step up. Parents need to help the schools out. There have been years when I never met a child's parents at all. If the parents don't make any effort toward their child's education then no wonder the children make no effort either.

I think we need to work as one big team; teachers, BOEs, and parents. We need to make sure that our children are prepared for whats to come. Educators and parents need to have basic technology skills in order to help our children. Technology isn't going away and it is time to stop being afraid of it and face the facts, we need it to survive in today's society.

4 comments:

Ellen Johnson said...

The task of teaching kids to be successful in a world that is ever changing is daunting and scary. But, I like your perspective of achieving this goal through collaboration and teamwork with parents and community members. Extra help and support makes the scariest of tasks easier and more comfortable.

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

As a potential future administrator, how would you propose to get BOE and other groups "on board"?

danatenuto said...

I agree with you, that teachers need the support of others in order to help our kids best. Why do we only have one computer in our classrooms? We can only do so much when we are limited in the resources that we are provided with.

Brian Dale Hutchinson said...

More focus does need to be placed on boards of education and district administration that expect tech-savvy students, but are unwilling to fund tech programs adequately.

Another concern are those affluent district who introduce technology solely as a means of "keeping up with the Joneses". These districts have little regard for the value of technology, and likewise have no plan for its use. They do have lots of media events celebrating new facilities, ones that are almost certain to be updated when a neighborhing district moves ahead.