Sunday, October 21, 2007

Thoughts About UBD

I am required to turn in my plan book every Thursday afternoon and I do. I use that plan book everyday. I am a very organized person that needs to have an agenda in order to get through the day. I do have to say though at this point that my plans are very basic. They consist of the the lesson's objective and the CCCS. I have been teaching the same grade now for four years, so I have gathered many materials needed to teach an effective lesson. I am also very aware of the material that needs to be taught. Therefore, the whole process of sitting down and writing out a detailed lesson plan took some time to accomplish. The UBD process is a very time consuming process. I really enjoyed it. I think thinking about the end result is a great idea, but doing it for about 8 lesson a day is too much for me to handle. Even though a school day is from 8:30 to 3:30 I put in many more hours of work, so my lessons do have of many different components to them, but in my opinion I would rather gather materials need to teach an effective lesson then sit down and write the lesson plan out. I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I think this way, but it is how I feel. Knowing how to get the most out of the lesson is important and the UBD process does really make you think and reflect on your lessons. They are also a great guide for others if they want to use your ideas. I do wonder though how many teachers especially elementary teachers use the UBD process?

2 comments:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

When you plan, shouldn't the goal always be with the end, whether it is 1 or 8 lessons? If you don;t focus on what you want student outcomes to be, how do you know if your students accomplished the goal?

danatenuto said...

Hi Kristin! I agree with you that using UbD for everything and writing out such detailed plans would be very difficult. I would also rather spend the time gethering materials to make the lesson more engaging for students. To do this every once in a while would be OK but for everything, in my opinion too, would be a lot to ask.